Wednesday, July 17

Company ranty rant



I saw that Catherine from Lady LiquorVintage tweeted about a ‘certain’ magazine translating ‘where do the hipsters hang?’ to Spanish, and instantly knew what she was referring to and had to buy it to see it. In the interest of writing this blog post, I wrote down every phrase that annoyed me and quickly filled a page. Maybe I’m too picky, maybe I’m easily annoyed, maybe I’m a bit of a snob. Yet, I don’t think I’m the only one who’s noticed the massive change Company has made.
Company has been one of my favourite magazines, aside from Oh Comely, forever. However, the recent changes have made me question whether I will even continue buying it. Magazines understandably have to keep up with social media and creating an online presence to keep on trend, but if I wanted to see constant hashtags and abbreviations, surely I’d just visit their twitter? If anything, I read magazines and books to take a break from twitter! When I read a published article by a professional journalist, I don’t want ‘<3’, ‘Oscar Nom’d’, or ‘lolz for your hols’
Linking fashion magazines with blogs was most definitely inevitable; they are so similar and go hand in hand in a lot of ways. Without this link it can be argued that people will look to blogs rather than magazines for fashion inspiration. Yet, any good idea can be taken too far. Company first hit controversy with its piece on the A to Z of blogging, making stereotypes that many perceived as offensive and mocking. As blogs are on the internet, obviously, I suppose it can be seen as natural to follow abbreviation conventions of twitter. But, surely these journalists will look back at their portfolio in ten years’ time and tut at their opinion that K-Stew’s dress was totes amaze?

7 comments:

  1. I agree! I was just in London for the first time and picked up this magazine as I'd heard so much about it. I was honestly surprised by how informal it was! Completely overboard on the hashtags and sayings. I don't mind it to a point, but when even the interviews had it, I was shocked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I don't mind a little, but it was overkill! xxx

      Delete
  2. I completely agree. I adore Company and the fashion it features, and I know it uses all the internet-style slang to appeal to the emerging blogger demographic - but bloggers are on the internet, not magazines! I think print fashion mags should focus less on blogging and abbreviation conventions of twitter and focus more on delivering amazing, thought provoking and inspiring articles, non?

    Chloe xx

    I'm a new blogger just starting up, it would mean a lot if you could have a look at my first post! Life Is Coco: Lifestyle, Beauty & Fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog is really nice, welcome to blogging! :) xxxx

      Delete
  3. I really can't stand Company anymore.. I thinks they just regurgitate online content and get bloggers to do the work for them for free citingnit as a "great opportunity". You're right.. If I wanted to look at internet stuff I'd go on the internet.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so annoying because I used to love it! xxxx

      Delete
  4. I totally agree. I buy Company to get back to 'traditional' media, but the constant hashtags etc. make it almost worse than Twitter. I finish reading it in about ten minutes because there's just nothing of substance in there anymore. Its trying to keep up with the blogging world and not doing a very good job of it. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, if you would like a quicker reply tweet me @chloetea_